By NAIA |Dec. 12, 2019, 1:06 p.m. (ET)
Action image courtesy of NAIA.org
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – In the second edition of the 2019 NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches’ Poll, Menlo (Calif.) took home the top spot for a second week in a row. The No. 1 Oaks earned a total of 206 points.
Top 20 Highlights
* The No. 1 Oaks had five wrestlers in No. 1 spots within their respective weight classes. Including: Alleida Martinez (109), Gracie Figueroa (116), Tiana Jackson (123), Marilyn Garcia (143) and Precious Bell (170).
* Wayland Baptist (Texas) had three No. 1 wrestlers this week including: Kaylynn Albrecht (155), Desiree Zavala (136) and Nina Pham (101).
* The top five remained the same from the previous poll (Dec. 6)
* All ten of the top-ranked individuals remained the same from the previous poll as well.
* This is the second year for women’s wrestling as an NAIA invitational sport. Twenty-eight NAIA institutions sponsor women’s wrestling teams during the 2019-2020 season. Women’s wrestling will be eligible for championship status once 40 institutions sponsor a varsity women’s wrestling program.
* The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the four conferences and groupings.
* Two days prior to the national poll, each qualifying group rater submits the top six individuals from each weight class in his conference into the system. Only wrestlers listed on a conference ballot are considered for the national ballot.
* The top 20 individuals in each weight class is based on how each voter ranks the best individuals. An individual receives 20 points for each first place vote, 19 for second place and so on through the list. This same point system is used to determine the team ranking.
For the complete Top 20 calendar, click here.
2019-2020 NAIA Women’s Wrestling Coaches Top 20 Poll – No. 2
|2||2||University of Jamestown||180|
|5||5||Southern Oregon University||154|
|6||6||Wayland Baptist University||144|
|9||7||University of the Cumberlands||131|
|8||8||University of Providence||124|
|7||10||Oklahoma City University||119|
|13||13||Eastern Oregon University||69|
|14||14||Missouri Valley College||57|
|15||15||Missouri Baptist University||55|
|T17||17||Central Methodist University||44|
|20||19||University of Saint Mary||25|
Receiving Votes: Central Christian CollegeTop-ranked Individuals
101 – Nina Pham, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
109 – Alleida Martinez, Menlo (Calif.)
116 – Grace Figueroa, Menlo (Calif.)
123 – Tiana Jackson, Menlo (Calif.)
130- Abigail Nette, Campbellsville (Ky.)
136 – Desiree Zavala, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
143 – Marilyn Garcia, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
155 – Kaylynn Albrecht, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
170 – Precious Bell, Menlo (Calif.)
191 – Nkechinyere Nwankwo, Oklahoma City
Click for complete individual rankings